U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced that applicants can now complete and file Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship, and Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322 online.
Applicants can file Form N-600 to obtain a Certificate of Citizenship for themselves or their minor children if they:
- Were born abroad and are claiming U.S. citizenship at birth through their parents; or
- Automatically became a U.S. citizen after birth, but before they turned 18 years old.
Applicants can file Form N-600K if they regularly reside in a foreign country and want to claim U.S. citizenship based on their parents. Applicants must secure lawful admission to the U.S. to complete Form N-600K processing. Children of U.S. service members have separate requirements for naturalization under INA Section 322.
Forms N-600 and N-600K are part of the growing number of documents that USCIS has made available for easy and convenient online filing. This list includes:
- Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card;
- Form N-336, Request for a Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings;
- Form N-400, Application for Naturalization; and
- Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document.
To file a Form N-600 or N-600K online, an applicant must first create a USCIS online account. Through an online account, the applicant can securely and conveniently:
- Complete Form N-600 or N-600K;
- Submit accompanying evidence;
- Upload passport-style photos;
- Pay the filing fee;
- Respond to USCIS requests for evidence;
- Monitor the status of their application; and
- Manage their contact information, including updating their address.
Attorneys and accredited representatives who have an online account can also file online for their clients and perform the above listed functions.
USCIS still accepts the latest paper version of Forms N-600 and N-600K. Because military service members do not pay a filing fee when submitting Form N-600 on their own behalf, they cannot currently file this application online.